HFD: Pit bull credited with saving family from burning home

Print
Email
|

by KHOU.com staff

khou.com

Posted on November 4, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Updated Friday, Nov 4 at 2:45 PM

HOUSTON—A family dog can be credited with alerting family members to a fire in their southeast Houston home early Friday, according to Houston firefighters.

Firefighters arrived to find a one-story home, located on Vista Verde at Reveille, heavily involved in fire around 4:15 a.m.

They made a fast attack and extinguished the flames, but the house is a total loss. The fire also damaged the outside of the next door neighbor’s home.

HFD said a man, his girlfriend and young son were asleep when one of their two pit bulls began barking frantically, waking them up. The man said he first thought someone was trying to break in and went to investigate. That is when he saw the hot water heater in the garage on fire.

He then rushed his family and dogs to safety.

No one was injured in the fire, but one firefighter was treated with oxygen at the scene for an unrelated medical condition.

The homeowner said the house did not have smoke detectors, so if his dog had not alerted them, they may not have survived.

Print
Email
|