HOUSTON -– A family safely escaped their southwest Houston home after it caught fire early Friday, according to the Houston Fire Department.
It was reported at a home on Triola Lane near Wilcrest Drive around 12:30 a.m.
Firefighters said they arrived to find the side of the home on fire and smoke coming from the attic. The home was heavily damaged, but firefighters managed to put out the blaze. Investigators said it appeared the fire started in a bucket outside the home.
Apparently the family was using the fireplace all day and then emptying the ashes and embers into the bucket, which was placed outside. Somehow the embers set fire to an outside wall and then to the attic.
No injuries were reported.