Deadly home invasion leads to lockdown of Galveston schools


by staff

Posted on October 15, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Updated Wednesday, Oct 16 at 10:55 AM

Fatal home invasion

View larger map

GALVESTON, Texas –- A man was shot and killed during a home invasion in Galveston early Tuesday morning, police said.

The shooting happened around 1:15 a.m. at a home on Back Bay Circle near Heards Lane, according to Galveston police.

Police said at least three suspects forced their way into the home and possibly stole several items. A male homeowner was shot and killed, but his fiancé was unharmed.

Police caught two of the suspects near the scene, but the search for others involved in the crime continued hours later.

Relatives identified the victim as Cedric Champion, 31. Neighbors said he and his girlfriend had a son.

“He didn’t bother nobody. So I don’t know why somebody did this to him. Every time you see him he had a smile on his face,” said Margaret Rittenhouse, the victim’s aunt.  

Nearby Oppe, Parker and Early Childhood University in Galveston I.S.D. were placed on lockdown for about five hours. The lockdown was lifted around 10 a.m.

Galveston I.S.D. later released this statement:

Lockdown procedures lifted at three GISD schools after local police action

Galveston ISD Police Department placed schools on lockdown as a precaution due to reported home invasion in nearby neighborhood; parents to be notified via by letter from district

GALVESTON, Texas – In conjunction with Galveston ISD Police Department Chief LeeRoy Amador and Galveston Police Department officials, lockdown procedures at three Galveston ISD elementary schools have been lifted as of 10 a.m. Oppe, Parker and Early Childhood University at Weis campus, all elementary schools, safety measures were put in place at around 5 a.m. due to a reported home invasion in the area, with a suspect on the loose.

The lockdown was a precautionary move by the GISD Police Department to keep students safely on campus. Working cooperatively with the Galveston Police Department, GISD Chief of Police LeeRoy Amador sent several GISD police officers en-route to the three schools for a lockdown because of the immediate threat the incident could pose to the safety of the students and staff at the school.
When parents dropped off students to the schools, teachers escorted them inside the buildings, where they are kept until the lockdown lifted. All GISD police officers secured the exterior perimeter of the school properties. The lockdown was lifted after GISD Police and the Galveston Police Department determined there was no threat to the schools.

Students will be sent home a letter explaining the procedure to parents in conjunction with the office of Superintendent Larry Nichols.