MISSOURI CITY, Texas -- Fort Bend ISD says it knows what sparked a school bus fire earlier this month outside Quail Valley Elementary.
According to the district, the fire on May 6 was an electrical malfunction that created a short circuit. Flames flared up at the front of the bus in the engine compartment on the driver’s side.
Students evacuated as soon as smoke began filling the bus.
The school district said it found no past electrical issues on bus 444. However, it said all 460 buses will now have their electrical systems inspected by Thomas-Built technicians “to validate the work of FBISD technicians."
The district also plans to buy 35 new buses in the near future and hire second-shift bus technicians in July 2014.