Young woman killed in hit-and-run incident on FM-1960


by staff

Posted on December 24, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Updated Tuesday, Dec 24 at 6:17 PM

HARRIS COUNTY, Texas—A 22-year-old woman was killed early Tuesday after she was run over by a hit-and-run driver in northern Harris County, Precinct 4 constables say. Evidence left at the scene suggests the driver of a Chevy Impala hit and dragged the woman 25 feet, killing her. Investigators believe she was walking home or possibly getting fresh air.

”It’s really sad, she could’ve been someone’s daughter mother, wife, sister, friend, someone,” said Carissa Shipman, who was stuck in traffic.

”It’s known to be bad on this highway, FM 1960, even if they hit a dog, they won’t stop for a dog,” said Mary Champion, who lives around the corner.

Constables say the young woman was crossing FM 1960 and Foxbrick Lane when she was struck around 4 a.m. After the accident, they blocked off FM 1960 in both directions west of Lee Road. Constables found the woman’s body in the road, but the person who hit her either fled the scene or didn’t know the woman was there.

”It appears that the pedestrian was crossing the roadway, tripped, fell, someone may have struck her in the roadway. It appears she was struck in a prone position as if she was lying down on the roadway,” said Lt. Wayne Schultz, with Harris County Constable Pct. 4.

”Young lady was walking across the street, I don’t know if she had anything on that’s reflective. Possibly, possibly not. I’m not sure,” said Stephen Anderson, who lives nearby.

Deputies say the woman, who was wearing jeans and a flannel shirt, was killed feet from her house.

”If somebody hits somebody, they should stand up and have enough courage and render aid,” said Champion.

Traffic was at a standstill for miles.

”It was bad, you couldn’t even come out this way, you had to go around the back way,” said Champion.

Neighbors just want to know who the hit-and-run driver is.

”Whoever did do this, they need to come forward,” said Anderson.

”It’s truly sad. It happened on a holiday. Especially a holiday,” said Shipman.

More than two hours after the first incident, a crash was reported not far away at Cypresswood. It also blocked FM 1960 and caused extensive delays during the morning rush-hour commute.

FM 1960 reopened a few hours later. Investigators are asking for the public help. Toxicology reports are pending.