HOUSTON – The Luckey family is fortunate to be alive after a fire destroyed their home early Tuesday morning in northeast Houston.
When the fire started, a soldier just out of the U.S. Army ran to wake up his parents so they could get out. Everyone in the home made it out alive.
“If it had been five minutes later, you probably wouldn’t be talking to me,” homeowner Bobby Luckey told KHOU 11 News.
Luckey and his family were sleeping peacefully when at about 4 a.m., “I started hearing sparks. I thought maybe it was a squirrel or something in the attic, but it wasn’t. It was the fire.”
“I’ve been in the military and usually unusual noises will wake me up,” Donald McGary, Luckey’s stepson, said.
McGary rushed into his parent’s room where the electrical fire started, and told them to get out of the house immediately. Seconds later, flames were shooting through the roof.
“You just look at it and thank the good lord we made it out. That’s the most important thing, we made it out,” Luckey said.
Luckey said he and his wife would not be alive if it were not for his stepson.
Acting quickly is not new to McGary. He has been a soldier for the last eight years, and has been deployed three times overseas with the last tour of duty cut short.
“In 2011, I was in a RPG attack, but they kept me in combat until I started showing signs of PTSD (post-traumatic stress syndrome),” McGary said.
Just one week ago, he was officially discharged from the Army, and looking forward to civilian life. He planned to attend an orientation at a local college, Tuesday morning.
“I thought being a civilian I could relax, but being a civilian there is a lot more stuff you’ve got to worry about,” he said.
But with his family’s home destroyed, McGary will have to wait a little longer for a fresh start.