HOUSTON – Students, staff and faculty members were evacuated from Dowling Middle School due to a gas leak in the school Monday morning, according to HISD officials.
The school is located in the 14000 block of Stancliff in southwest Houston.
The students were led safely outside after the leak was discovered around 11 a.m. The gas was turned off and officials waited for the fumes to subside before any students were allowed back inside.
Several students were treated on-site for anxiety attacks and complications with asthma. The school nurse was also treated for breathing issues.
The building was cleared by the Houston Fire Department and Centerpint Energy around 12:20 p.m. School activity then returned to normal, with the exception of a modified lunch schedule.
“The reality is that it was a very minor situation,” said Bruce Greenberg with the Houston Fire Department.