City finally demolishes dangerous building after years of neighbors’ complaints

Print
Email
|

by Rucks Russell/KHOU 11 News

khou.com

Posted on March 16, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Updated Friday, Mar 16 at 11:44 PM

HOUSTON—A dangerous building that nearby residents had complained to the city about for years finally came down on Friday, a day after KHOU 11 News aired a report about the neighborhood nuisance.

Operators of a large track hoe needed less than an hour to tear down the decaying structure, which was located in the 2200 block of Jensen Drive.

The multi-family building had stood since the 1930s, and at one point had housed a small church.

But neighbors said it was abandoned more than a decade ago and had become a hangout for crack addicts and prostitutes. In recent years, part of the building’s roof had caved in and the front portion had started to lean in the direction of a pedestrian sidewalk.

“We never thought we’d see this day,” said Lonnie Stubblefield, who owns a barbershop located just across the street. According to city officials, the building had been deemed an immediate and dangerous hazard, prompting the demolition to take place.

According to city councilman Jerry Davis, removing similar structures in the area remains a top priority.

“We just don’t have the money or the resources to do them all at one time. So you have to put them on a priority basis and go house after house,” said Davis.

One local resident said he welcomed the work so long as it would continue.

“It’s just one building but we have another 99 to go,” said Joe Ballard.

Print
Email
|