Chimney blamed in southwest Houston house fire

Chimney blamed in southwest Houston house fire

Credit: KHOU

The fire was reported on Riceville School Road near Wrenthorpe Drive.

Print
Email
|

by KHOU.com staff

khou.com

Posted on November 8, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Updated Friday, Nov 8 at 2:16 PM

HOUSTON – A renter is looking for a new place to live after the home he was living in went up in flames in southwest Houston early Friday.

The fire was reported on Riceville School Road near Wrenthorpe Drive.

Investigators with the Houston Fire Department said the man’s heating unit went out, so he put wood in the fireplace and lit it to keep warm overnight. Shortly after midnight, however, the fire got out of control and the home went up in flames

No injuries were reported, but the property was badly damaged.

HFD said it was possible the chimney flue wasn’t opened before being put to use, but an investigation would reveal the exact cause for the fire.

Print
Email
|