CFD: Family escapes, dog dies in apartment fire started by unattended cooking oil

Print
Email
|

khou.com

Posted on May 14, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Updated Wednesday, May 14 at 11:59 AM

HOUSTON – An apartment unit blaze that started with a grease fire displaced twelve people Tuesday night, according to the Conroe Fire Department.

Firefighters were called to the Timbers of Pine Hollow Apartments located at 2020 Plantation Drive near North Loop 336 West at 11 p.m.

They found a downstairs apartment unit filled with heavy fire and smoke.

A 21-year-old woman escaped the fire after rescuing her two children, ages 2 and 5. She was treated for non-life threatening second-degree burns. A neighbor, who assisted with the rescue, was uninjured.

A dog perished in the fire, investigators said.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the unit of origin and it was declared under control at about 11:20 p.m.

Three other apartment units sustained smoke and, or water damage.

The Red Cross was assisting the occupants of all the damaged units.

The Conroe Fire Department Fire Marshal’s Office said preliminary evidence suggests that the fire originated in the kitchen and was caused by cooking oil being heated, while left unattended, on the stove top.

The CFD says unattended cooking is the leading cause of residential fires in Texas and the United States. In 2012, there were 4,362 residential fires in Texas caused by unattended cooking. These fires resulted in 125 civilian injuries, 2 civilian deaths, 17 firefighter injuries, and approximately $13.5 million in damage.

Print
Email
|