LAPORTE, Texas -- A gas leak at PPG Industries in LaPorte has been contained, according to LaPorte police.
Sirens sounded and a shelter-in-place was issued after the leak began around 10:15 a.m.
It was under control by 10:45 a.m.
The gas involved was phosphene, which is used to make plastics and pesticides.
Symptoms of exposure to phosphene include: coughing; burning sensation in the throat and eyes; watery eyes; blurred vision; difficulty breathing or shortness of breath; nausea and vomiting; skin contact can result in lesions similar to those from frostbite or burns; difficulty breathing; coughing up white to pink-tinged fluid (a sign of pulmonary edema); low blood pressure; and heart failure.
Symptoms may not appear for up to 48 hours after exposure.
No injuries have been reported.
PPG Industries is located in the 1900 block of South 16th and Fairmont Parkway.