HOUSTON – A public works worker was injured Thursday afternoon when a fire broke out from a gas leak at a northwest Houston construction site, fire officials said.
The Houston Fire Department responded to the scene after the fire broke out just after 3 p.m. in the 2000 block of West 34th near Oak Forest. The injured worker was taken by ambulance to Memorial Hermann Hospital Northwest, but did not have serious injuries.
The fire started when a construction crew with a tractor struck the underground gas line.
West 34th Street remains closed off to traffic as firefighters work to extinguish the flames.