Federal and local New York authorities are investigating alleged illicit online contacts between former New York Congressman Anthony Weiner and a 15-year-old girl, a person familiar with the matter said Thursday.
The source was not authorized to speak publicly about the matter.
Weiner has the been involved in a series of sexting scandals since 2011, when the New York Democrat was forced to resign his congressional seat.
A longshot bid for mayor of New York was derailed in 2013 by new allegations of his contacts with a woman. And earlier this year, Weiner and his wife, Huma Abedin — a top aide to Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton — separated after a newspaper published sexually-charged photographs Weiner had sent another woman. The couple's young son also was visible in the photograph.
The law enforcement inquiry was first reported Thursday by CNN. The Daily Mail, a British newspaper, published a story this week of a 15-year-old girl who claimed she had exchanged explicit messages with Weiner, and that he knew she was a teenager.
The campaign of Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump immediately pounced on the development Thursday, calling Weiner's alleged behavior "extremely disturbing.''
"The Clinton campaign should immediately return all campaign contributions from Weiner,'' Trump campaign spokeswoman Jessica Ditto said. "America has had enough of the sleaze that is Clinton, Inc.”
Weiner donated $550 to Clinton last year, records show. Trump, meanwhile, had donated $4,300 to Weiner's campaigns between 2007 and 2010.
Contributing: Fredreka Schouten