Staff, defibrillator saves life of Carrollton student after cardiac arrest

School employees save volleyball player

CARROLLTON, Texas -- Joe Marquez showed WFAA News 8 a chart that displays when his daughter Amanda's heart stopped.

"You see a timeline of your child's life, and or death, second by second," Joe said. "It's just incredibly tough."

On Aug. 23, the Creek Valley Middle schooler was at tryouts for the seventh-grade volleyball team. Amanda suddenly collapsed and went into cardiac arrest.

"I remember looking over at my friend," Amanda said. "And that's it."

Within minutes, the school principal rushed a defibrillator to the gym. The AEDs, as they are commonly called, are mandated in all Texas schools after a law was passed in 2007.

By the time the paramedics arrived that morning, Amanda's heart was shocked back into a normal rate again.

"Her heart had actually stopped and they saved her life," said Amanda's mother, Jan Marquez. "You're numb at that point. Numb."

Jan told WFAA News 8 that doctors still haven't figured out why her daughter's heart failed.

The 13-year-old is an active athlete. There was no overexertion that morning and she doesn't have a history of heart issues.

"From what we understand, we may never know," Jan said.

But what's clear is that the quick action by three coaches and two administrators is the reason Amanda is back to being a happy and healthy student athlete.

They'll all be honored at a home volleyball game Wednesday night.

"They honestly did save my life," Amanda said. "It means so much to me and my family."

Amanda can't play volleyball for at least six weeks.

But doctors say, as of now, there's no damage to her heart and she should make a full recovery.

Copyright 2016 WFAA


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment