Neighbor chases burglary suspect in League City

LEAGUE CITY, Texas -- League City officers arrested a 22-year-old man and charged him with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and tampering with evidence.

Shedrick Lewis, a homeowner, said he is lucky to be alive after he chased after a burglary suspect and he was shot at. It happened around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday on Tahoe Court in the Victory Lakes Subdivision.

Lewis was driving back from the store.

"About 9:30, I left to go to the store. As I was coming back home I noticed a guy was running out of my garage. As I'm approaching the house I see a guy just run out the garage and he has my weed eater in his hand. So he had parked his car in my neighbors' driveway so he ran his car and I blocked him in. He backed up and took off. He shot like three or four times and I called 911 and followed him," said Lewis.

Lewis said the crook thought he was being slick by parking the getaway car in the neighbors' driveway. Lewis started following the suspect and blocks away, the 22-year-old allegedly fired away.

"He shot like three or four times and I called 911 and followed him. My adrenaline was flowing and really I didn't think about the danger. Just (thought) about getting him caught. I guess he didn't want me to follow him so (he) just started shooting," said Lewis.

The bullets missed Lewis and hit a nearby fence and home. During the whole time, Lewis was on the phone with 911. Shortly after, League City officers were able to catch Olmos near I-45.

"I was really upset and didn't want to let this guy have an opportunity to come back," said Lewis.

Lewis' wife and children were home and they had no idea what was happening.

"I was upstairs getting ready to play memory with my daughter and all of a sudden Shedrick comes home yelling frantically. We were in the house and they could've came in. -- Although we have two dogs who would probably lick you to death," said Nina Lewis, the victim's wife.

At the end, everyone was just thankful no one was hurt.

"He could've shot me in my yard or anything like that could've happened. I'm thankful I'm alive, that everything ended well for my family and I," said Lewis.

Officers identified the suspect as Ryan Olmos and said they found guns and drugs in his car. Olmos is currently charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. More charges are pending.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment