Neighbor killed, homeowner wounded during home invasion in Alvin


by Sherry Williams / KHOU 11 News

Posted on February 12, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Updated Tuesday, Feb 12 at 7:45 PM

ALVIN, Texas -- A neighbor apparently trying to come to the aid of his friend down the block was shot and killed on Tuesday in Brazoria County. 

The trouble started with a home invasion in Alvin.

Around 8:45 a.m. Tuesday, Albert Garcia saw that his 52-year-old friend and neighbor was in trouble. That's when he apparently went running to try to help, but within a few short minutes he was shot and killed in the road.

Authorities with the Brazoria County Sheriff's Office said there are still lots of loose pieces in this tragic puzzle. They believe two or three masked men tried to invade the home of Reynaldo Garcia, 52.

The man's 24-year-old neighbor somehow saw what was going on and went running. That's when shots were fired.

According to Albert Garcia's sister, her brother was leaving home Tuesday morning when he decided to first drive down the block to check on his friend and neighbor Reynaldo Garcia.

When he drove up, he realized a home invasion was in progress and he took out his gun and started shooting while still behind the wheel, Albert’s sister told KHOU 11 News. The home invaders returned fire.

That is when she said she saw Garcia slump over the steering wheel. She said she and other family members ran to the car and pulled him out to perform CPR but it was too late.

Family members of Albert Garcia were shocked, angry and hurt.

"He was just a really good person; didn't do nothing to nobody,” said Garcia’s cousin, Malina Llamas.

"He didn't mess with nobody. I can't really say much. It's done, you know?” said Garcia’s cousin Hector Llamas.

Also, injured in the gunfire was the 52-year-old homeowner. He’s is in the hospital.

Officials have not said if the two men were related.

When authorities arrived on scene, they found two men hiding in a field about ¼ of a mile away. They were taken into custody for questioning. A short time later a third man showed up at Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital with a bullet wound. Authorities are calling him a “person of interest.”

Authorities have not said why the mobile home was targeted, in fact, officers were still waiting for a search warrant nine hours after the crime to get inside and check out the home.

To the family of the young man who died, no motive will ever make sense.