Girlfriend of man charged in horrific child sex abuse case arrested

Print
Email
|

by KHOU.com staff

khou.com

Posted on November 7, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Updated Thursday, Nov 7 at 7:33 PM

PEARLAND, Texas – The fiancée of a Pearland man charged in a horrific child sex abuse case now faces charges herself.

Julia Lack, an aspiring model, is charged with one count of possession of child pornography. The charge stems from evidence seized from Lack’s residence earlier this week, according to Pearland police.

Lack lives in the house with her boyfriend, 42-year-old Tad Costin, and her 5-year-old son.

Police say they found more than 80 DVDS and six hard drives with photos and videos of Costin sexually assaulting little girls in the Pearland home.

Costin remains jailed on four counts of aggravated sexual assault of a child. Investigators believe there are as many as 15 victims, some as young as 4.

"We may have victims going back as far as 1999," Lt. Onesimo Lopez said. "The videos that we recovered from the house were shot as far back as 1999."

Prosecutors call it one of the worst cases of child sex abuse they’ve ever seen.

"It’s disgusting, it’s horrifying. What kind of a person does that?" asked Heather Peterson, a neighbor. "How can you live under the same roof as somebody who has been like that since 1990s? Disgusting."

"Totally shocked. I’m creeped out knowing that he lives so close to me," said Nick Ross, who lives next door.

It was Lack’s parents who first tipped authorities after finding a box of SD cards at their home in Liberty County. They inserted one into their laptop and were shocked to find child porn allegedly featuring Costin.

Detectives believe all of the videos were recorded at Costin’s former address near Clear Lake.

According to investigators, there is evidence that Costin did not act alone. That evidence includes a hand seen in some of the videos and shaky camera movement, which indicates someone was on the other side of the lens.

Authorities brought the case to the attention of the media Monday in hopes of identifying the victims seen in the videos and photos. Since then, six more possible victims have come forward.

One mother told us that Costin molested her daughter in 2010, but the charges were dropped for lack of evidence. Now she's worried her little girl may be in the videos.

Costin remains jailed without bond. Lack is being held on a $30,000 bond.

Print
Email
|