How-to speech goes wrong, prompts evacuation at Galena Park school

Print
Email
|

by khou.com staff

khou.com

Posted on October 14, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Updated Friday, Oct 15 at 9:40 AM

GALENA PARK, Texas – A speech class presentation took an unexpected turn on the Galena Park High School campus Thursday morning when a chemical reaction forced students to evacuate.

It happened around 9:45 a.m. in the Lilly Education Center, where freshmen attend class.

School officials said a student was giving a how-to speech in a communications class when the substances he was working with caused a chemical reaction, filling the Lilly building with fumes.

The students were evacuated to the library, gym and other common areas as a precaution, and firefighters were called in to ventilate the area.

School officials said all of the students in the speech class were examined, and none suffered any ill effects from the fumes.

It was unclear what chemicals were involved.

Print
Email
|