HPD: Bush IAH gunman left suicide note saying he had 'monster within'


by Michelle Homer / KHOU.com


Posted on May 2, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Updated Tuesday, Nov 19 at 1:21 PM

HOUSTON — A gunman walked into Bush Intercontinental Airport with an AR-15 and a handgun Thursday and fired at least two shots before killing himself. It happened in the ticket area inside Terminal B around 1:35 p.m. 

The suspect has been identified as 29-year-old Carnell Marcus Moore of Beaumont.

He left behind a suicide note that said he had a "monster within" and wanted the cops to take care of it. The note said Moore had a bigger plan, but decided to show mercy on others.

Moore posted two cryptic messages on his Facebook wall Wednesday: "This Life Will Crash Tomorrow!" and "I recently had the chance of staring death in the face, and she was beautiful."

Moore had been staying in a Houston hotel the last few days. He would have turned 30 this month.

A McDonald’s employee who works at the airport heard the gunshots.

"As soon as he walked in, he just automatically started shooting quickly," said the employee named Kendra Carrizales. "And we hear two shots and we just automatically started running. We ran all the way to the back." 

A Homeland Security special agent heard the gunfire and confronted Moore. The agent fired at the gunman at the same time that Moore shot himself in the head, according to HPD.

"We just saw the dude walking in, and he was already suicidal because he put the gun to his head," Carrizales said.

The suspect was taken away in an ambulance, but he didn't survive.

An autopsy has been scheduled to determine which bullet killed Moore: his own or the agent's.

No one else was injured. But passengers and employees were shaken by the shooting.

"It was traumatic it really was, it was too much going on. Everybody was running, and all that stuff, it was a lot going on," Carrizales said.

Dale Howard, who was at the airport to pick up his sister for a family funeral, was on the lower level when the chaos erupted.

“Right off the bat, there were two shots, about an eight to 10-second delay, two more shots, a short delay, then a fifth shot,” he said.

After that, people were running in panic.

“There was a bunch of screaming, a bunch of people running, people coming down the escalator the wrong way getting away from it, leaving their bags on the thing," Howard said. 

Terminal B was closed for more than three hours while police investigated the shooting scene. They found one bullet hole in the ceiling.

They also found Moore's white pickup truck parked outside the terminal. It was searched and towed away.

Bomb-sniffing dogs swept the terminal as a precaution.

The FBI is assisting with the investigation.


KHOU 11 News reporters Jeff McShan, Sherry Williams, Jeremy Desel and Tiffany Craig contributed to this report.