Reuters editor says he did not conspire in hack

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on March 21, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Updated Thursday, Mar 21 at 2:02 PM

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Reuters social media editor accused of conspiring with hackers to deface a Los Angeles Times story has posted a statement on Facebook saying he did not commit the crimes he's accused of.

Federal prosecutors say 26-year-old Matthew Keys provided the hacking group Anonymous with login information to access the computer system of The Tribune Co., the Times' parent company.

According to the indictment handed down last week, a hacker altered a Times article posted in December 2010.

Keys posted on Facebook late Wednesday that he "did not give a username and a password to anyone." He also says he did not conspire to damage a protected computer or cause transmission of malicious code, as the indictment states.

Reuters hired Keys in 2012. He has been suspended from his job.

Print
Email
|