Jamie and Bobby Deen defended their mother Paula Deen on Tuesday in an exclusive interview.
She has been making headlines recently for every thing but her cooking.
“Our mother is not the picture that’s being painted,” Bobby said. “It’s inaccurate what people are saying about her.”
The rapid downfall came after revelations that 66-year-old Food Network star admitted using racial slurs in the past in a deposition in a discrimination lawsuit. Deen was asked under oath if she had ever used the N-word. “Yes, of course,” Deen said, though she added, “It’s been a very long time.”
Deen insisted she and her family do not tolerate prejudice, and in a videotaped apology, she asked fans and critics for forgiveness. It had been posted online for about an hour when the Food Network released a terse statement that it “will not renew Paula Deen’s contract when it expires at the end of this month.” The network refused to comment further.
Houston resident Ruth Tate is not convinced by Paula’s videotaped apologies.
“I think the truth just came out about her opinions and how she feel about people,” tate said. “It finally came out.”
Meanwhile the Metropolitan Cooking and Entertaining shows say Deen has been a friend for many years and that they are accepting her apology and moving forward.
"We intend to go forward with the MetroCooking Shows in Houston, Dallas and Washington, DC as planned with Paula as a presenter. At this time we have no plans to do otherwise,” the company said in a statement released Monday afternoon.
The Houston show is slated for September 14 and September 15 at Reliant Center.