SAN ANTONIO -- Preliminary autopsy results show that Leanne Bearden died from asphyxiation by hanging, Garden Ridge police said Friday.
The manner of death has been ruled a suicide, pending toxicology results.
Police said the investigation has concluded that Bearden's death occurred shortly after she was last seen leaving her residence for a walk.
The police department has asked that the community and the family have "time to process and reflect on the tragedy," according to a news release.
Bearden's body was found in Garden Ridge on Thursday afternoon after she had been missing for more than three weeks.
Investigators said a man discovered the body early Thursday afternoon in a wooded area behind his home. Sources tell Eyewitness News that Bearden was found hanging in a tree.
Police were able to confirm it was Bearden by her backpack and ID.
The body was found in the 21600 block of Fairview Circle, just a few blocks from Bearden's in-laws' home, where she was last seen before going for a run, family members said.
Interactive timeline: If on mobile, click here.
- Family: 'Strong possibilty Leanne left on her own
- Family offering $20,000 reward for missing woman
- Missing woman's family pleads for her to contact them
- Search continues for missing 33-year-old woman
- Family organizes search party for missing woman
- Husband desperate to find wife who went missing after walk