First time making the Thanksgiving turkey? Don't sweat it.
- 1 turkey
- 1 orange
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 lemons
- 3 large carrots
- 2 onions
Now follow these steps:
- Properly thaw turkey. (You can brine your turkey overnight if you want! If you do, be sure to rinse the turkey and pat it dry before you roast it.)
- Let turkey come to room temperature
- Mix orange zest and butter
- Rub butter underneath skin
- Stuff the bird with citrus
- Layer bottom of roasting pan with carrots and onions.
- Put turkey into oven preheated to 450°. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 350°. Roast until internal temperature reaches about 155°.) Allowing the turkey to rest under tin foil will help carryover cooking raise temperature to 165°, the FDA-recommended temperature for poultry.
- After 90 minutes in the oven, rub butter on outside of turkey. Be careful! It’s hot!
- Remove turkey from oven. Tint with tin foil. Let rest for up to a half hour.