Fresh French Bread
- 2 lbs. Bread Flour
- 17 oz. Water
- ¾ oz. Yeast
- ½ oz. Salt
- ½ oz. Sugar
1. Combine salt and flour. Mix well.
2. Warm water to around 100°. Add to mixing bowl. Add yeast and sugar. Stir with a French wipe for 1 minute to activate yeast.
3. Add flour to water mixture and combine ingredients until a dough ball is formed.
4. Knead dough for five minutes. Form a dough ball and put in a bowl to rise. Coat dough ball with oil to keep from drying. Pan spray can be used.
5. Bench the dough. Let dough rise until it has doubled in size, around 30 minutes to an hour. When dough has doubled in volume, punch it down to its original size and bench the dough ball once again. It should be left to rise about another 30 minutes
6. Punch the dough down again and cut into 3, 17 oz. balls or 2, 25 oz balls. Shape the dough balls into loaf form and place on baking sheet fitted with parchment paper to rise one final time.
7. When loafs have doubled in size, apply *egg wash with a flat pastry brush and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
*Egg wash. In a small bowel, combine one egg with ¾ cup of water and beat well
Thousand Island Dressing
- 2 cups of Mayonnaise
- 1 cup of Chili Sauce
- ¾ cup of sweet pickle relish
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon of Paprika
Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste
Chill before serving.