Spiced Fruit Cocktail
Recipe courtesy of Shubhra Ramineni from her Indian cookbook,
“Entice with Spice – Easy Indian Recipes for Busy People”
- In India, fruit is often enjoyed with a sprinkling of salt, ground black pepper, ground red pepper and lime juice. That combination of seasoning is used here to create a quick, easy and beautiful Indian fruit salad that gives a tangy twist to sweet fruits. When in season, guavas are the highlight of this fruit salad, and are an unexpected flavorful treat when people bite into them. I have included my favorite fruits in this recipe, but you may choose any combination of fruits you like. Do remember that bananas are a favorite Indian fruit! The acidity of the lime juice delays the fresh cut fruit from browning, so you can prepare this dish up to an hour in advance before serving. I prefer not to peel any of the fruit (except the banana!), so that we can keep the natural color to make a bright fruit salad.
Serves 6 to 8
Prep time: 10 minutes
Refrigerator life: 1 hour (Tastes best freshly tossed and served.)
Reheating method: None! Simply toss and serve.
- 1 guava, chopped into bite-size cubes (peel on)
- 1 red apple, chopped into bite-size cubes (peel on)
- 1 pear, chopped into bite-size cubes (peel on)
- 1 peach, chopped into bite-size cubes (peel on)
- 1 cup green grapes
- 1 banana
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
1. Place the guava, apple, pear, peach and grapes in a large serving bowl.
2. Cut the banana into ¼-inch slices and place in the bowl.
3. Add the red pepper, salt, black pepper and lime juice. Mix well. Enjoy now or refrigerate for later!
Other fruits that you may substitute:
Plum, Asian pear, strawberries, apricots, blackberries, blueberries, kiwi