After apology, Kim K. drops lawsuit against media outlet

After being issued an apology, Kim Kardashian has dropped her lawsuit against an online media outlet that claimed her Paris robbery was faked.

MedaTakeOut.com had previously alleged that Kardashian staged the elaborate armed robbery and committed insurance fraud. The site reversed course after Kardashian filed a lawsuit against the company and its founder, Fred Mwangaguhunga, for "blatant defamatory lies" and for labeling the reality star "a liar and a thief."

The site issued a lengthy apology on Monday, saying, " MediaTakeOut regrettably published a series of false stories about Kim Kardashian West suggesting she faked the robbery in Paris, lied to authorities and then filed a $5.6 million fraudulent insurance claim for her stolen jewelry. MediaTakeOut knows that Mrs. Kardashian West was in fact robbed in Paris. We have permanently removed from our website any and all posts that suggested she staged the robbery, lied about it to the French police and committed an insurance crime."

The apology continued: "We sincerely apologize to Mrs. Kardashian West and her family for the false stories we published and regret suggesting that what happened to her in Paris was anything less than horrific."

Kardashian's lawyer, Andrew B. Brettler, confirmed to USA TODAY that Kardashian dropped the lawsuit. "Mrs. Kardashian West voluntarily dismissed the lawsuit against MTO and Mr. Mwangaguhunga," he said in a statement. "The matter has been resolved to the mutual satisfaction of the parties."

French police have said that five armed robbers forced their way into a private residence where the reality TV star was staying, tied her up, gagged her and stole more than $10 million worth of jewelry, including a $4 million 20-carat diamond ring she just received from West and had flaunted on Instagram.

Paris police chief Christian Sainte told Vanity Fair "there is no doubt about the reality of the crime."

With her bodyguard sent out to a nightclub with her sisters, Vanity Fair writes, "Kardashian was in bed in a bathrobe, alone. The wooden door to (her) penthouse had a single lock, no bolt. The thieves 'marched' the concierge to the door 'by the scruff of his neck' and made him open it with a key from the front desk. Kardashian heard someone in the suite, and asked, 'Hello?' But nobody replied. Two of the men burst in; one of them pulled her out of bed, screaming."

Video was recently released showing five men on foot and on bicycles approaching Kardashian's hotel and leaving approximately 49 minutes later. No arrests have been made.

The reality star, who returned to Los Angles with her children following the robbery, has disappeared from her social media platforms since, with an assistant recently telling fans she is "taking some much needed time off."

Her 36th birthday, usually a lavish affair, was celebrated quietly on Friday.

The heist, sister Khloe Kardashian said on The Ellen DeGeneres Show about a week after the hold up, was a "wake up call to make a lot of life adjustments" for all in the reality TV family.

Contributing: The Associated Press


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment