Stephen Colbert responds to tweet controversy

Stephen Colbert responds to tweet controversy

Stephen Colbert responds to tweet controversy

Print
Email
|

by Trey Barrineau, USA TODAY

USA TODAY

Posted on April 2, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Comedy Central's Stephen Colbert spent about half of Monday's Colbert Report riffing on last week's controversy over a tweet from the show's verified account that went viral and led to an online campaign to cancel his show.

In case you missed it: On Thursday night, a satirical tweet from @colbertreport that many felt was insensitive to Asians was posted and quickly deleted, but not before activist Suey Park started a hashtag, #cancelcolbert, that was trending worldwide for more than 36 hours. (The brouhaha had its origins in last Wednesday's Colbert Report segment mocking the Washington Redskins' apparent attempt at positive PR for the team's controversial name.)

The tweet wasn't written by Colbert, though. A Comedy Central staffer posted it.

On Monday, Colbert responded, describing what happened after "the twit hit the fan" and invoking Jonathan Swift's famous satirical essay "A Modest Proposal." "Eat Irish babies? #cancelswift!" he said. "Trend it!"

Colbert also discussed the media coverage of the blow-up: "It was picked up by a small group of Americans who get their information only from Twitter -- the news media." That included his favorite target, "the USA TODAY," and CNN, which Colbert said "took a break from their Malaysian airliner coverage to report spotting what they thought was the wreckage of my show off the coast of Australia."

Later, Twitter founder Biz Stone showed up to help Colbert with his 140-character messaging -- by "blowing up" @colbertreport with a dynamite plunger. (And yes, the account has been deleted.)

 

 

Print
Email
|