HOUSTON – The Houston SPCA helped rescue six mares in February from Falls County. Now, the mothers are able to celebrate Mother’s Day this year by welcoming their foals.
A seventh baby is on the way, and they are all available for adoption. The SPCA said that the mares are all gentle, nurturing mothers, and the foals are inquisitive and have had extensive handling and socialization since birth.
The mare and her foal must be adopted together and are available for an adoption fee of $500 to approved homes.
To adopt one of the equine at the Houston SPCA:
- Complete the online application
- A Houston SPCA team member will contact you to schedule a “meet and greet”
- Bring identification such as a valid driver’s license with your current address
- Adopters must be able to provide approved trailering for transportation
- All horses adopted from the Houston SPCA are vaccinated, dewormed and have current Coggins tests
- All male equine are gelded.
The Houston SPCA has hundreds of horses, donkeys, farm animals, cats, dogs and small mammals like rabbits, hamsters and guinea pigs available for adoption every day.
The Houston SPCA is the only local shelter open seven days a week with convenient evening and weekend hours. Domestic animals are available for adoption without an appointment Monday through Friday, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Equine and farm animals are available by appointment only.
For more information, call 713-869-SPCA (7722) or visit www.HoustonSPCA.org.