Trupanion, North America’s fastest growing pet insurance company, recently released the top five most expensive cat breeds, based on pet insurance claims submitted by Trupanion policyholders since August 12, 2000.
While any cat breed can be plagued by accidents and illnesses that require expensive veterinary care, these are the five that required the highest cost of care, according to Trupanion databases.
1. Siamese – Siamese cats are one of the oldest breeds of domestic cats. Claims for this breed total $74,638.91, with 77% related to illnesses and 23% related to accidents. The average claim amount is $396.44.
2. Bengal – This breed is recognizable by its leopard-like appearance. Claims for Bengal cats equal $73,408.67, with 96% associated with illnesses and 4% associated with accidents. The average claim amount is $364.95.
3. Himalayan – Himalayan cats are a cross-breed of a Siamese cat and a Persian cat. Trupanion policyholders have spent $69,449.29 to date on this breed, 98% for illnesses and 2% for accidents. The average claim amount is $215.99.
4. Maine Coon – Maine Coon cats are a large breed with a heavy, luxurious coat. Claims for this breed equal $63,683.01, with 90% associated with illnesses and 10% associated with accidents. The average claim amount is $313.81.
5. Ragdoll – Ragdoll cats are laidback and intelligent and are easily trainable. According to Trupanion databases, policyholders have spent $40,442.41 on the Ragdoll breed, with 93% associated with illnesses and 7% associated with accidents. The average claim amount is $277.70.
According to the American Pet Products Association, veterinary care is the second highest spending category behind food, with $12.04 billion spent in 2009. Veterinary costs continue to rise and cat owners are continuing to pay to keep their cats safe and healthy.
Trupanion™ pet insurance offers cat insurance and dog insurance in the United States and Canada. Trupanion™ is self-underwritten by the American Pet Insurance Company, allowing Trupanion™ to offer a simple, customizable pet insurance policy with no payout limits and 90% coverage of veterinary bills. Enrolled pets receive lifetime coverage for diagnostic tests, surgeries, and medications if they get sick or are injured, with no incident, annual or lifetime limit. Trupanion’s mission is to deliver fast, simple and user-friendly financial support to pet owners. For more information about Trupanion™, call 800-569-7913 or visit http://www.TrupanionPetInsurance.com.
About the North American Pet Health Insurance Association
Trupanion™ is a founding member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA). Founded in 2007, the North American Pet Health Insurance Association is committed to educating and promoting the values and benefits of quality pet health insurance to North American pet owners, the general public, and the veterinary community. As an association, we are committed to high standards and transparency in all of our actions and products. To learn more, visit the North American Pet Health Insurance Association website at http://www.naphia.org.