Animal Attraction

Find posts by keyword
Find posts by date


Animal Attraction: More Holiday Safety Tips

by Stacy Fox

Posted on December 24, 2010 at 5:59 AM

All over the world, people are busily preparing for this year’s very exciting holiday season. The good food and elaborate celebrations which often accompany this festive time can sometimes pose a potential threat to our pets. The Houston SPCA has a few tips to help keep your furry friend safe and happy over the holidays.

• Proper Identification: Make sure your pet is wearing proper ID tags (with current information) and has been microchipped in the event he/she dashes out the door and becomes lost.

• Skip the table scraps & sweets: Any sudden change in a pet’s diet can cause severe indigestion and diarrhea. Bones can splinter and cause blockages. Greasy, spicy and fatty foods can also cause stomach upset or even worse – an inflammatory condition of the pancreas known as pancreatitis. Sweets can kill, so keep chocolate, desserts, all types of candy and the foil / cellophane wrappers they come in out of your pet’s reach.

• Use caution with cocktails: Many holiday plans include adult alcoholic beverages. If ingested, an animal can become sick and weak and possibly go into a coma, which could lead to death due to respiratory failure.

• Keep floral arrangements out of your pet’s reach.

• Christmas Tree Water: The water that keeps your tree flourishing may contain fertilizers which, if ingested, can cause stomach upset. Stagnant tree water can serve as a breeding ground for bacteria and cause vomiting, abdominal discomfort and diarrhea in your pet.

• Decorations: Ribbons, tinsel, pine needles and glass tree ornaments, if ingested, can become lodged in your pet’s intestines, causing intestinal blockage. Tape down electrical cords, as chewing on them could cause pets to be badly burned or electrocuted. And, keep candles safely out of your pet’s reach!

• Unwanted Gift: Never surprise a friend, spouse or partner with a gift of a pet for the holidays. A companion animal is for life, not just the holidays.

Remember to always keep a watchful eye on your pets, especially during the hustle and bustle of the holidays. Contact your veterinarian or nearest animal emergency clinic immediately if you suspect your pet has ingested something that may be toxic or dangerous.

Click here, to watch more on pet safety from Mario Gomez / 11 News.