NEPTUNE, N.J. — The man accused of planting bombs in New Jersey and New York that injured more than 30 people was moved from a hospital to a state prison earlier this week, officials confirmed.
Ahmad Khan Rahimi, 28, who was recovering from gunshot wounds he received during a shootout with Linden, N.J., police officers on Sept. 19, left Newark's University Hospital and settled into a New Jersey prison on Tuesday evening, said New Jersey Department of Corrections spokesman Matt Schuman. He would not say which prison.
Schuman said Rahimi, of Elizabeth, N.J., is a "Title 30" prisoner, which places him into the custody of the Department of Corrections instead of in the custody of a county jail.
Schuman said the decision to subject Rahimi to "Title 30" was based on the severity of the crimes for which Rahimi is accused.
The move to the prison comes a month after Rahimi began his hospitalization stint Sept. 19, after he suffered seven gunshot wounds in the shootout.
Rahimi is accused of placing a pipe bomb in a Seaside Park, N.J., trash can on Sept. 17, around the starting point of a charity race.
Later that evening, Rahimi is accused of leaving two pressure cooker bombs in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. No one was injured in the New Jersey incident, but more than 30 people were injured when one of the pressure cooker bombs exploded in New York.
Rahimi faces federal charges in both states.
Rahimi pleaded not guilty Oct. 13 to five counts of attempted murder against law enforcement officers and handgun offenses. He appeared via teleconference from his hospital bed for his first court appearance.
During the hearing, Rahimi's lawyer, Peter Liguori, a Union County public defender, corrected the spelling of his client's name.
Numerous media outlets and officials had been referring to the Afghan-born citizen as "Rahami," Liguori said. But his name is spelled "Rahimi."
He remains held on $5.2 million bail.
Contributing: The Associated Press. Follow Katie Park on Twitter: @kathspark