The Federal Bureau of Investigation revealed Friday morning that its tipline received a call last month about the suspect in Wednesday's Florida high school shooting, but protocol wasn't followed.

Nikolas Cruz has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder after investigators say he went to his former school on Wednesday with an AR-15 rifle and started shooting.

According to the FBI, a person close to Cruz contacted the FBI’s Public Access Line tipline to report concerns about him.

The FBI statement says the caller provided information about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting.

The information from the call should've been passed on to the Miami Field Office, but that didn't happen.

FBI Director Christopher Wray said:

“We are still investigating the facts. I am committed to getting to the bottom of what happened in this particular matter, as well as reviewing our processes for responding to information that we receive from the public. It’s up to all Americans to be vigilant, and when members of the public contact us with concerns, we must act properly and quickly.

“We have spoken with victims and families, and deeply regret the additional pain this causes all those affected by this horrific tragedy. All of the men and women of the FBI are dedicated to keeping the American people safe, and are relentlessly committed to improving all that we do and how we do it.”