HOUSTON – The Houston Fire Department has released the details of the homecoming of Capt. “Iron Bill” Dowling, who died earlier this week.
Dowling suffered career ending and life-altering injuries in the Southwest Inn fire on May 31, 2013, that killed four other Houston firefighters.
Dowling passed away on Tuesday due to complications of the injuries.
Dowling lost both legs and suffered a brain injury after a roof collapsed on him while he was fighting the five-alarm Southwest Inn fire in 2013.
Photos: Capt. Bill Dowling, family in Durango, Colorado
He will receive a hero’s send off and welcome at both the Albuquerque Airport and when he lands in Houston.
A Wall of Honor will be waiting his arrival at the funeral home as well.
Please, refer to the following schedule for Capt. William Dowling’s trip home:
Leave Durango, Colo. to Albuquerque, N.M.- escorted by DFD & DPD
- 8 a.m. Saturday, March 11 - from Hood Mortuary (1261 E 3rd Ave.)
Arrive Albuquerque, N.M. – with LODD Honors from AFD
- 11:45 a.m., Saturday, March 11 - at Albuquerque International Sunport (2200 Sunport Se, Albuquerque, N.M. 87106)
Leave Albuquerque, NW to Houston Hobby – Southwest is following Military/Hero Human Remains protocol throughout the flight.
- 2:40 p.m. on SWA flight 426 to HOU HOBBY
Arrive at Houston Hobby – with Full LODD Honors from HFD
- 5:40 p.m. Saturday, March 11 - at Houston Hobby (7800 Airport Blvd, Houston)
- HFD Honor Guard to transfer Captain Dowling’s body to the Honor Guard Coach.
Leave Houston Hobby to Klein Funeral Home
- 6:25 p.m. March 11 - from Houston Hobby ( 7800 Airport Blvd, Houston)
- Procession – I-45N to exit 70a to FM2920
Arrive at Funeral Home
- 7:30 p.m. March 11 - at Klein Funeral Home (1400 N Main St., Tomball, Texas)
KHOU 11 News anchor Ron Trevino visited the family last fall.
Behind the Scenes: Captain Bill Dowling in Durango, Colorado