HOUSTON - Six people had to jump to safety from the second story of a burning apartment building early Monday.

The fire broke out at the Coppertree Village Apartments on W. Gulf Bank near Veterans Memorial at about 4 a.m. Several residents were trapped and jumped from a window to get out.

“It had started in the living room so we had to bust through the window to get out,” said Audrey Richardson. “I jumped with my baby to break her fall.”

Two adults suffered minor injuries, including one woman who broke her foot in the fall and another relative who cut his arm breaking through the glass.

Two young girls were among the six family members who had to make the emergency escape but they weren't hurt.

Neighbors like Douglas Malveaux woke up to sounds of screaming and the smell of smoke. “And we started asking people for fire extinguishers so we could kind of diminish the fire before things get out of hand,” said Malveaux.

Houston firefighters kept the flames from spreading to neighboring units or the floor below. But the fire, neighbors say, shed light on a bigger problem at the northwest Houston complex.

“This is very dangerous. We’ve been out of light for a while,” said Glendora Smith.

KHOU11 called CenterPoint Energy which confirmed power was turned off to parts of the complex on Saturday. CenterPoint says theirl equipment was being negatively affected by the apartment complex's electrical equipment. As a safety measure, Coppertree Village must make electrical repairs and get a permit from the City of Houston in order for power to be restored.

The property manager understands how the power outage could affect tenants,

”Unfortunately, it was a candle that was left on during the night and caused the fire,” said Jennifer De Los Santos who manages Coppertree Village.

As of 5 p.m. Monday, power was still out in two buildings at the apartment complex.