Bacteria causing a sometimes deadly type of pneumonia were found in the water system of the famed Las Vegas Rio All-Suite Hotel and Casino.
The Southern Nevada Health District announced Friday two separate guests who stayed at the hotel at different times in March and April contracted Legionnaires' disease, which is caused by the Legionella bacteria.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention describes Legionnaires' disease as a type of bacterial pneumonia, which causes coughing, shortness of breath, fever, muscle aches and headaches. Health officials said the disease can sometimes result in death.
The hotel and the health district are investigating the two cases, remediating the problem and reaching out to past and current guests.
After the two cases were reported, officials took a water sample, which showed Legionella existed throughout the facility's water system.
People take in the bacteria by breathing in small contaminated droplets of water. Showers, faucets, hot tubs and fountains can carry the bacteria.
The Rio hotel, like other Las Vegas hotels, offers gambling buffets, shows and a pool. The magicians Penn & Teller perform there, so do the Chippendales dancers.
A Legionnaires' disease outbreak at a Philadelphia hotel in 1976 killed 29 people attending an American Legion event.