12/18/17 UPDATE: According to Texas DPS, John Wayne Stoneham is now in custody after being captured Thursday in Houston. The arrest was the result of a tip, and a reward of up to $5,000 will be paid.
HOUSTON - A cash reward of up to $5,000 is being offered for information on a DPS 'Most Wanted' sex offender from Houston.
John Wayne Stoneham, 49, is wanted for parole violation and failure to comply with sex offender registration requirements. DPS describes him as a 'high-risk sex offender'.
According to DPS, he has been wanted since May 2017, after he fled from a Houston facility where he lived since his 2012 parole. In 1991, Stoneham was convicted in Harris County of burglary of habitation with intent to commit sexual assault after multiple nighttime break-ins into the home of a 25-year-old woman. He subsequently received a 25-year prison sentence.
Stoneham’s criminal history also includes indecency with a child-sexual contact involving a 13-year-old girl.
Stoneham is 5'5" tall and weighs approximately 145 pounds. He has scars near his eyes and on his forehead, burn scars on his upper arms, and a birthmark on the upper right side of his back. Stoneham has used the alias names of “Kevin Johnson” and “John Williams” in the past.
To be eligible for the cash rewards, tipsters must provide information to authorities using one of the five following methods:
- Call the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-252-TIPS (8477).
- Text the letters “DPS” – followed by your tip – to 274637 (CRIMES) from your cell phone.
- Submit a web tip through the DPS website by selecting the fugitive you have information about, and then clicking on the link under their picture.
- Submit a Facebook tip by clicking the “SUBMIT A TIP” link (under the “About” section).
- Submit a tip through the DPS Mobile App.