Since Oct. 29, Kevin Spacey has been accused by more than a dozen men who say he sexually harassed, groped, assaulted or attempted to rape them in episodes going back decades. The fallout has been swift for the actor, with Netflix dumping him from his starring role on House of Cards.
A new Buzzfeed report published Monday alleges that Spacey had a reputation for sexual misconduct on the House of Cards set via interviews with several unnamed crew members, who claimed that the show's higher-ups were aware of his behavior.
"They knew about his behavior toward younger men specifically on set," a crew member said about the directors and producers. "They were all watching...and they see behavior on camera and off camera that was uncomfortable and unprofessional. Unprofessional for a set, to be honest."
The details in Buzzfeed's report echo last week's CNN story, in which several House of Cards employees described Spacey's predatory behavior on set, including one production assistant who accused him of sexual assault.
Buzzfeed's story also implicates Beau Willimon, the House of Cards creator and producer, who previously tweeted that he "neither witnessed nor was aware of any inappropriate behavior on set or off" while working with Spacey.
"I saw that Beau said he had no idea, which I know is completely false," a crew member told Buzzfeed. "They had production meetings about Spacey's flirtatious behavior toward crew and cast, and it never made it any further than that. It was like a joke."
In the wake of the Spacey allegations, Netflix has cut all ties with the actor, who had also starred in the streaming service's forthcoming Gore Vidal biopic Gore.
“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey," Netflix announced in a statement. "We will continue to work with (producer Media Rights Capital) during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show. We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film Gore, which was in post-production, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey."
Spacey's next movie, All the Money in the World, has also been impacted by the scandal. On Monday, Sony's TriStar announced that the movie will be pulled from an upcoming film festival, the American Film Institute's AFI Fest.
"All the Money in the World is a superb film and more than worthy of its place of honor in the AFI Fest," says the studio statement sent to USA TODAY by Tahra Grant, senior vice president of corporate communications at Sony Pictures. "But given the current allegations surrounding one of its actors and out of respect for those impacted, it would be inappropriate to celebrate at a gala at this difficult time. Accordingly, the film will be withdrawn."